 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1341
Re: Aspect ratio (via L3P)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 15:47:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Lars C. Hassing writes:
Sproaticus wrote...
- option to include a file at end and/or begin of .pov file (e.g. for
megapov's edge-detection feature, etc.)
How about
-ib<filename> include file at beginning of POV file
-ie<filename> include file at end of POV file

Awesome.

- placing camera block, BoundingBox info into variables for use by included
macros
Good idea. I have already used variables in the revised camera definition, like
L3Location and L3LookAt, and I could add:
#declare L3ModelBBoxMin = <99,99,99>;
#declare L3ModelBBoxMax = <99,99,99>;
#declare L3ModelBBoxCenter = (L3ModelBBoxMin+L3ModelBBoxMax)/2;
#declare L3ModelBBoxSize = L3ModelBBoxMax-L3ModelBBoxMin;
You can access e.g. the model height by L3ModelBBoxSize.y
Can you think of other variables ?

These are the only variables I can think of.  I think it might also be
useful to expose the formulas for determining the camera and light positions
via macros, but I can't think of any real-world needs at the moment.

- option to output models and/or submodels as separate .inc or .pov files
I need to understand the reason for this request, because I can imagine
some problems with managing these files. E.g. color usage.
How would you use the files ?

Well, my main reason is for printing a parts list from a model instructions
generator.  The difficulty would be in distinguishing the sub-parts from the
sub-models -- perhaps if the sub-parts' .inc files were saved to a subdirectory?

But the more I think of it, the more difficulties pop up.  Your example
point -- color usage -- would need to be handled, as would all the other
global variables (QUAL, etc.).  This could be done by having all subfiles
include a master .inc file, which would have to be protected against
multiple #includes using #ifndef statements.  All of a sudden, the project
becomes a magnitude more complex.  Arg.

Well, perhaps this is a feature for a later version, then.  :-,

Hm, come to think of it, I might be able to inline model and submodels
but not parts/primitives, without too much memory usage.
But it's a balance, you wouldn't be able to process DatsVille (having many submodels)
with L3P16. But then again, if you want to do DatsVille you would probably need
a newer computer anyway and you can use the 32-bit L3P.

I like this solution.  I wonder, how many people are still using the 16-bit
L3P?  But alienating the few who do might not be worth it.  Is there any way
to find out if the 16-bit version is being used anywhere?

Cheers,
- jsproat