 CAD / MLCad / 1074
1073  |  1075
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: View matrix used for default 3D view expressed in LDLite terms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:29:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Larry Pieniazek writes:

But I sort of (as Kevin does) need the way to generate the rotation matrix
from a dialed in rotation value... if someone has a spread that does that,
it would be nifty.

A general, reproducible, adjustable, redo-able solution to this is to write
up a couple of LDLite's ROTATION commands, and then translate the commands
to standard LDraw gdl.

For example, to duplicate MLCAD's view, write:

0 ROTATE 23 1 0 0
0 ROTATE 45 0 1 0
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3001.dat
0 ROTATE END
0 ROTATE END

Translated, this comes out to:

1 16 0 0 0 .7071 0 .7071 .2763 .9205 -.2763 -.6509 .3907 .6509 3001.dat

Those numbers should look vaguely familiar to readers of this thread. :)

BTW, either LDLite or LDAO will do the translation for you.  I think LDAO is
a bit more convenient.  But I'm probably biased.

Steve