 CAD / MLCad / 1070
Re: View matrix used for default 3D view expressed in LDLite terms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:22:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Kevin Wilson writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ...
In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Don Heyse writes:

Yeah, you're right, it looks more like a 45 degree turn followed by about
a 23 degree tilt.  Try this:

-A0.707104,0,0.707104,0.276288,0.920505,-0.276288,-0.650895,0.390731,0.650 • 895

Yes, that's it. Or so close as not to make a difference.

THANK YOU!!!!

This may actually be a candidate for the MLCad helps unless I'm the only
person who ever wanted to render at the same rotation MLCad uses.

What I'd like to know is exactly what each of those numbers stands for (X
rotation? what? Is it in th help somewhere and I missed it?) so next time I
need a custom one I don't have to spend an hour doing trial and error to get
it!

Those numbers are the values of a rotation matrix about the X, Y and Z
axis.  (Search for "rotation matrix" on google.com for an explanation.)
The -A syntax has been around since ldraw.exe and is documented in
ldraw.doc as well as the ldlite documentation.  If you're uncomfortable
with the math required to calculate one by hand, you can always spin
your model in l3lab and grab the matrix from the test/statistics menu.

I toyed with this in ldglite once upon a time.  The F1 and F2 keys
rotate by 5 degree increments about the Y and X axis but I've long
since commented out the code that printed out the resulting matrix.
I breifly uncommented it and added 1 degree buttons for this test.
Perhaps I should develop this into a feature someday.

Have fun,

Don