Re: Site change suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:40:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, James J. Trobaugh wrote:

I guess I'm throw in my 2cents also. I think there can be a good middle area
with use of the keyboard and pointing device. I know back when I was doing
AutoCAD and 3D Studio work (in the pre-windows era) that I was the most
efficent when I had one hand on the keyboard and the other on the pointing
device (HP Digitizer). Basicly I used the keyboard for all my commands and • the
Digitizer for selecting objects, directions, or regions. I considered myself
an expert but can never imagin having to type in abosulte cordinates for were
I want something to be on my design. On the other hand I would never want to
move my cursor away from the design area to go select a command from the • menu.

Hmm.  Sounds like each command-keystroke should be duplicated, so there can
be a set of left-hand keys, and a set of right-hand keys.  That way, no
matter which hand we mouse with, we can touch-type the command-keys!  :)

And no, I'm not *exactly* joking about this.  Being a lefty, I really
appreciate that Microsoft specified both right- and left-hand keystrokes
for cut, copy, and paste.  Simultaneously keying and mousing makes for a
very powerful method of interfacing.

Steve

Or even better do the short cut keys like Autocad where the user can customize
which keys are assocated with what commands.