Re: Site change suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:34:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw "Travis Cobbs" <tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com>
wrote:
As it stands, new users are left with the impression that the community at
large uses LDraw and LEdit as their primary tools.

Well, I still use LEdit as my primary editing tools, and switch between LDLite
and L3Lab and L3P for rendering.  I'm sure I'm not alone, either.

I am behind you here.  The thought has crossed my mind a little to
change the site's focus to more of MLCad, but I haven't had the time
to impliment it.

Urk.  I'd recommend keeping the site LDraw-centric, but increasing the exposure
of MLCad in some kind of "newbie" page.  MLCad, while a great program, is not a
complete replacement for LEdit.

After Kidvention, I plan on inserting the site
entirely into Macromedia Dreamweaver on my PC, to make it easier to
manage.  At that time, I believe the menu system will be redesigned to
be a 4.0+ browser active drop down thingie - making it easy to update
and still visually pleasing.

Urgle.  Here's another hot-button topic.

If you put *ANY* kind of active content -- including but not limited to Java,
Javascript or Flash -- on the client end, then you must also allow for those
users who don't use these technologies in their browsers.  Failing to do so
will quickly alienate a good portion of your intended audience, especially when
cross-platform LDraw is becoming more and more of a reality.  Remember, "4.0+
browser" only relates to Netscape and Microsoft products.

I think you're doing a great job, Tim, but please don't get too carried away
with the site.

Cheers,
- jsproat