Re: Site change suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:28:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw Fredrik Glöckner
<fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote:
I use LEdit as my primary modeling tool, L3Lab for explorative viewing
and LDLITE for final high quality rendering.

I've talked to a few people recently who do that, and I didn't realize
actually how many of them there were.

I've never used a CAD style modeling tool because I sincerely believe
that a keyboard interface is more efficient.  Especially if you bother
to learn to use the controls.

Ok.

Actually, I've been thinking about commenting on the ldraw.org content
myself.  It's this text that I find somewhat bothering:

    "Do you enjoy LDraw but hate the old DOS interface?"

(From http://www.ldraw.org/feature/mlcad.html.)  I've felt that this
text is a tad bit too negative, assuming that the word "LDraw" refers
to the whole shebang, including the editor "LEdit".

Would a more suitable phrase be 'Do you find the old DOS interface
difficult to use, and would like to see something more mouse-oriented
for parts placement and editing?'

But since I don't work with ldraw.org, I haven't bothered mentioning
it.  I'm just saying this now to illustrate that people have different
needs and tastes -- it's no big deal.

I see your point.  And it was something that I did not realize would
negatively effect certain types of users.  Nor was it intended to
knock the original product, but it was an expression I used as 1) an
attention getting device and 2) to indicate though indirectly that
there are other alternatives out there for model creation in LDraw
format.

Because this does effect you in that way, I could change the text in
the article to reflect something less negative if you think it would
help.

Don't think that since you don't work with ldraw.org, that you can't
or shouldn't comment on that when it bothers you.  Commenting on it
now in this thread was a good thing, and the manner in which you did
it was a good thing.  I do want to see the site improve so as many
[different styles] of users as possible can be accommodated and
comfortable with using the site, and with as much of the site's
content as possible.  Thanks for your comments.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne