Re: Site change suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:47:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw "Tom McDonald"
Perhaps what might be in order is a mainpage more geared for newbies.

Yes.

On it, or linked to it, could be a table of all the programs used in
the "picture-making" process listed in order from the start (designing), to
the end (near-photo quality rendering). Some people may not know where L3Lab
or LDLite fits into this process. Even the Runtime Error 200 patch could be
included so that folks know to download it and when to run it. A chart like
this could be very handy in displaying where the utilities fit in the grand
process of making a picture, and what kind of quality you get along the way at
each stage.

Hmmm....good idea.  For the CD-ROM artwork, I planned a similar chart,
but this one outlining OS compatibility for the various programs
offered on it.

If folks more familiar want a page for them, perhaps another page could be set
up without the chart, with a notice to bookmark the page.

Good idea(s).

I kinda hafta agree about not using technology on the page. One of the things
I like about the page is that it loads quickly. 9 out of 10 times I'm there to
see the MOTM, read something new about ldraw.org, or get a parts update, and
then I'm gone cuz I want to design something using that new part I just
downloaded. To me, the page already looks decent. I understand why people like
flashy stuff (or they think that others do), but for sites that I often visit,
longer loading time is quite annoying. Sometimes I wish I could bookmark pages
inside sites that have this, but alas, it's not always possible.

Yeah.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org