Re: Site change suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:20:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw "Larry Pieniazek"
<lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:
Fred Gloeckner's comments aside (let's face it, he's way smarter than most of
us at using these tools) LEdit is hard to use if you're a mouser. To be fast
with it, you need to memorize commands (which I use too many different programs
to do) and be a fast touch typist. My brain is too small for that.

SO having the first thing that newbies find be something that sells them LEdit
and LDraw is just flat out wrong, IMHO. Get them hooked on the format with one
of the much easier to use programs. Such as MLCad.

Yes.

On the other hand, making the site MLCad focused per se is also wrong. It's
great, it's my favorite by a lot, Mr. Lachmann is a god among men, but there
are other good programs out there, other approaches.

Yep.  That's the concensus which I gather from this thread - it needs
a good balance between the new and the original, for both types of
users.

Balance is needed. Organise things so that newbies find their way to the good
easy to use stuff and get hooked, but that all the info is there. In fact, the
"getting started" section should offer alternative ways or paths... one for the
mouser which most of us at this point are and one for the power keyboard user.

Yeah.  After Kidvention, when I start doing some changes to the site,
I will strongly think of how to impliment that on the Start page.  I
also agree that the main page should be cleaned up and more
newbie-friendly.

I also plan on setting up a Kidvention visitor resource page before
Kidvention, so they can be referred there and get a similar
introduction and then be sent off into places on the site where they
can start out themselves.

On the site itself changing to use fancy stuff.

<system architect and UI expert hat on>

Don't do it.

It's not worth it for the sizzle, and if you're doing it for other reasons,
look into content management systems. There are freeware macro language
extensions that will, for example, let you create and maintain commonly
included things like button bars, the banner at the top, and so forth, *once*,
and include them where they are needed. They generate straight HTML once you
run them through a processor.

I'd be interested in learning more about these options.  I am planning
on using Dreamweaver behind the scenes (won't effect the appearance
and function of the site much) to make it a TON easier for me to work
with.  Always open to (easy to use) options.

Going down a proprietary content creation path is tempting, especially if you
want to learn how to use the tool. Go do that on your own site. Don't do it on
a site that is maintained by others as well as you. Don't do it on a site that
may have high traffic, and that may have users who are differently abled or who
have less capable hardware than you do.

Ok.

Stick to the standards, avoid gadgets, avoid java, avoid javascript, avoid
flash, avoid media player extensions. Make sure that you are not excluding
users if you can avoid it. Make sure that you are not excluding contributors if
you can avoid it.

My opinions. Not everyone agrees but it's what I advise my clients too.

After the gentle prodding of a few people in this discussion, this is
what page I'm on too with the issues about the site.  I'll do my best
to see that it is updated in a clean, easy to follow manner sharing a
balance between the two programs, and making it clear for new users.
Without stepping into the 4.0 browser range.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne