Re: Site change suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:42:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw "Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw "Travis Cobbs" <tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com>
wrote:
As it stands, new users are left with the impression that the community at
large uses LDraw and LEdit as their primary tools.

Well, I still use LEdit as my primary editing tools, and switch between LDLite
and L3Lab and L3P for rendering.  I'm sure I'm not alone, either.

Yes.

I am behind you here.  The thought has crossed my mind a little to
change the site's focus to more of MLCad, but I haven't had the time
to impliment it.

Urk.  I'd recommend keeping the site LDraw-centric, but increasing the exposure
of MLCad in some kind of "newbie" page.  MLCad, while a great program, is not a
complete replacement for LEdit.

I think that that's what I was trying to say, in a hurry, when I was
probably on the phone ;)  I understand that a good chunk of people
find LEdit extremely useful.  I'm an MLCad user, but for the next
couple things I have to do in a short period of time, I'll probably
use LEdit cause its faster.  I will carefully increase exposure of
MLCad, while not diminishing the usefulness and importance of the
original package.  I hope to work with Mike on this if he has any of
his own thoughts.

After Kidvention, I plan on inserting the site
entirely into Macromedia Dreamweaver on my PC, to make it easier to
manage.  At that time, I believe the menu system will be redesigned to
be a 4.0+ browser active drop down thingie - making it easy to update
and still visually pleasing.

Urgle.  Here's another hot-button topic.

If you put *ANY* kind of active content -- including but not limited to Java,
Javascript or Flash -- on the client end, then you must also allow for those
users who don't use these technologies in their browsers.  Failing to do so
will quickly alienate a good portion of your intended audience, especially when
cross-platform LDraw is becoming more and more of a reality.  Remember, "4.0+
browser" only relates to Netscape and Microsoft products.

Well, my purpose in wanting to update the menu system is more from a
maintenance perspective than a flashiness perspective.  Right now with
no SSI or templates, its next to impossible to add a new button to the
side - because it requires HTML hacking on each page.  I'll try to
utilize Dreamweaver's features to the best of my ability (still very
new to the program) to make it easier for (me) to update the buttons.
If the site is passed on to someone else in the future to do the
majority of the work on it, arrangements will have to be made.  In
these edits to the menu system, I will keep in mind older browsers and
compatibility issues, so not to alienate non-MS and non-Netscape
users.

I think you're doing a great job, Tim, but please don't get too carried away
with the site.

Thanks.  I'll try not to ;)

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com