Re: Ideas for next MOTM contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 17:43:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   OK, I updated LDView (haven’t released the update yet) to support images up to 4096x4096 via tiling, whether or not your video card can go that high. I have a sample generated at 2400x1800--and then resized to 800x600--that can be seen by clicking the thumbnail below:

Super! But, what happened to the stud logos? The tiling doesn’t mess them up somehow, does it? That would look sooo good with bump mapped stud logos. ;^)

The tiling shouldn’t effect the stud logos. I’m not sure why I had them turned off; probably doing some performance measurements between current LDView and “next-gen LDView”. I’ll have to wait until I get home to verify for sure that they still work. Of course, I think the highest MIP level of the stud logos is only 256x256 (it might even be as low as 128x128), so you’ll actually be able to see fuzziness in the big images.

Oh, and I changed the 4096 max to 9999 (the text boxes are limited to 4 digits). I could allow even more, but I’m not too sure how useful that would be. Additionally, 9999x9999 uses just under 300MB of memory (just under 400 if alpha channel saving is turned on). I might think about only keeping the tiles in memory for a full horizontal pass at a time, but that would be a pain to make work. Plus, anyone generating the images is going to need enough memory to open them afterwards anyway.

It was actually kind of funny. The one single memory buffer for the image data was just under 300MB, and the whole LDView program was only using something like 330MB (according to task manager).

One down side of the tiling is that I round the image size down to an even multiple of the tile width used. So first I calculate how many tiles are required in each direction, then divide the requested width and height by the number in the appropriate direction, then multiply back to get the new width and height. I could round up to have a slightly bigger image, then crop, but I don’t know how to zoom out by the tiny amount necessary to perform the cropping without loosing any image data. (Zoom to fit fills the entire image.)

--Travis