Re: Ideas for next MOTM contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 23:46:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:

I've been fiddling with LDView and I can't seem to render images larger than
1020x688 (my screen resolution is 1024x768).  Does this mean that I can't render
images larger than my current screen resolution?  What I did with LDGLite was
render a x3 scaling of the model and then shrunk the image to 800x600.  This
makes the lines in the images crisper leading to a better overall image
appearance.

P.S.  I'm using my box with an ATI 9800 Pro so I wouldn't consider my
video card old...

If you can get the Full Screen Antialiasing (FSAA) to work then you've
accomplished pretty much the same thing as the x3/shrink method.  I
only get "none" for an FSAA choice in the preferences dialog though.
I'm not sure what minimum hardware it requires.  The best I could find
is reported as:

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce4 MX 420/AGP/SSE2
Version: 1.4.1

Anyhow, even with just antialiased lines the quality is better in many
ways than ldglite because of the smooth shading and the alpha blended
translucent parts.  Make sure you turn off "low quality studs" and
enable Edge Lines and Conditional Lines in the preferences.  And you
probably want to set the FOV angle to 0.1 to simulate an orthographic
projection.

After adjusting these settings, a quick Lego style focus group study
indicates 2 out of 2 users in my house think ldview looks better than
ldglite.

Enjoy,

Don