Re: Ideas for next MOTM contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 02:26:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
Please note that if you have an old video card, you will have to make sure that
LDView has been run with at least an 800x600 window prior to doing this, since
it can only create snapshots that are less than or equal to its window size on
old video cards, and even when you have it create a snapshot on the command
line, it uses the most recent window size.

I've been fiddling with LDView and I can't seem to render images larger than
1020x688 (my screen resolution is 1024x768).  Does this mean that I can't render
images larger than my current screen resolution?  What I did with LDGLite was
render a x3 scaling of the model and then shrunk the image to 800x600.  This
makes the lines in the images crisper leading to a better overall image
appearance.

-Orion

P.S.  I'm using my box with an ATI 9800 Pro so I wouldn't consider my video card
old...

I have a 9700 Pro, and it works fine up to 2048x2048.  However, it starts doing
really odd things when I go higher  (I'll have to look into that).  What driver
version do you have installed?  (It shouldn't matter, but I can't think what
else would cause problems.)  Unfortunately, if the 2048x2048 limitation is a
video card limitation like I think it is, you can't do 3x even if it can be made
to work at higher resolution than your display.

Let me look into tiling support for snapshots (I've already implemented that for
printing, so it shouldn't be too hard).  It isn't in the current release, but I
may be able to work something out to send you within the next day or so.

On a side note, you should definitely be able to improve the snapshot quality by
enabling 6x antialiasing, which should work fine.  (On the other hand, given
that big snapshots don't work, perhaps it won't.  I don't understand why the
9800 would behave any differently in LDView from my 9700.)

--Travis