Re: OMR Model Creation/Submission Rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:36:59 GMT

On 6/16/99, at 3:05 PM, Tim Courtney wrote:

At 06:54 PM 6/16/99 +0000, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
Sub-models are not only used so that they can be easily • positioned.  They
are used to make following the instructions easier.  Inlining • a sub-model
defeats the purpose of creating the sub-model in the first • place because
the sub-model is then surrounded by all the peices you wanted • to detract
attention from!  Whether you leave the inlined header makes no
difference--you could just as easily have added the peices • without using
any sub-models.
I hope I was clear this time.

You're making a lot more sense now.  I understand better what • you're trying
to say and I agree with where you're coming from.  Part of the • purpose of
the OMR is to provide 3d virtual instructions, so this would • help in this
case.  They should not be inlined.  However, if you make a • submodel (to
ease creation in ldraw) that is not in the instructions and has • nothing to
do with our moving parts idea, then it should be inlined so it • appears like
it does in the actual instructions.

Yes, you are making more sense now. HAVE you looked at the
instructions
for the set in question? In this case the biggest reason for
inlining as a
submodel is because the pieces are going to be anchored in place
and not
movable. Also when the submodel is placed in the instructions
all the pieces
are visable, so there isn't the need for a submodel because you
need to be
able to see what parts are being used. If the submodel was
partially hidden
from view then I would say to keep it as a submodel(not
inlined).
The biggest reason for keeping it as a submodel(not inlined)
would be because
it is an official submodel.
I think it really could go either way.
Ryan