 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 581
Re: Mac Brick CAD 2.1b1 New Release
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:22:19 GMT

Jim,

Some great feedback, keep it comming. Rather than tackle uour suggestions, one by one, I’ve kept them and you will find many incorporated in future releases.

There is a new release on the blocks - give me a few more days, this version has a host of user request tweaks, cures a major memory leak I discovered and fixes the problems with modifier keys and the mouse.

Below, are some items I might be able to assist with.

   Main Window
  • Also, upon inserting, the element will have adopted whatever odd angle I may have been playing with beforehand. As there is no easy way to tell what that angle is, it’s almost impossible to bring it back to the base angle of the model. Maybe a default angle for inserted parts would be good.

  • Following this, if a part needs to match angle and position of another, maybe an “inherit properties” function could be added... and include color as well.

This is a deliberate “feature”, when I model, I usually want the next brick to align with it’s predecessor. When I want to reset to a previous orientation, normally I then select a suitable brick and issue the command “Duplicate” (Apple-D) to then create the new brick at the end of the model. My inclination would be to say include a check-box in the insert named command that resets the properties to a zero modification.

  • How big is the field? Is it possible to have scroll bars or otherwise relocate the sight-point origin? I don’t know how this would affect the click-drag rotation interface, but I can only build models so big before having to zoom out... then it’s too small to see to work on.

The depth field is twice the width of the window. OpenGL restricts the actual model space, but for our purposes it’s effectively infinite.

For larger models there will always be problems, using sub-models addresses this. Consider that you can assemble larger models from smaller sub-assemblies (and if I get time to improve the MPD functions this will be easier from within MBC). Another thing I do is use the part visibility functions so only the actual part I’m working on is visible. Finally using the arrow keys when no parts are selected will pan (reposition) the model on the screen.

  • This might bloat the app, but can a ray-tracing renderer (like POV-Ray) be absorbed into the mix?

I don’t intend to incorporate the POV source into the application, but I do intend (one day) to automate the POV process more by using - interapplication communication protocols. Specifically this will be to create QTVR files and animations with POV images. But this isn’t a priority.

   Andrew, I don’t know what your commitment is to the application (especially after seeing my bullet list, Hah!) but a final release MBC will make a lot of people like me really, really happy---especially since The Lego Company will probably never recognize the Mac platform... even most certainly with their pending LDraw knock-off. I hope you continue development in earnest. Please set something up on Kagi or the like so we can do our part to contribute to your efforts. Not having to run VPC and Windoze is worth gold, you know. :-)

Don’t worry MBC will continue to live and evolve for the moment under my control. Only remember that as a solo amatuer developer who has a full time job it takes time...

Andrew...