 CAD / Development / 86
Re: Uber-install (was Re: Organizing the Site Revamp)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:26:19 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:26:58 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@geocities.com>
wrote:
Which would basically be "download LDRAW.EXE and all the LCAD updates"
And (potentially) splitmpd, l3p, and ldscript.  Any others I'm
forgetting?

I personally don't use these tools.  Thus, I would be unlikely to want to
download them if I were surfing via modem.

Hmmm... I might be muddling things.  My point is this:  Let the main
archive, parts updates, and separate tools be available separately as well
as in a big install.

Right, except why include the Win32 programs for people who can't use
them?  Most of the huge-o programs (LDAO) are 32-bit.  It's not a big
deal on CD distributions, but for downloading, saving a couple of MB is
important.

See my point above.  If someone is going to download the Uberinstall (as
opposed to separate files), a couple of MB may not matter.  Another possible
solution is to make the Uberinstall modular; e.g. it would offer to install
LDAO if the LDAO archive was in the current dir, same for LDS, LDLite, etc.

How does this sound, for a full-blown, Windows-based install script:
[...]
I wonder how you prevent duplicate entries in autoexec.bat?

This could all be easily implemented in a Perl script.  A minimal Perl
engine, uncompressed, will fit on a 1.44 Mb floppy.

Anyone want to develop a working, DOS-based, Makelist?

Got one, wrote it in Perl.  Urm, make that Win32 Perl.  :-P  I haven't
tested it on the DOS Perl compiled with DJGPP.  Perhaps this upcoming
weekend.

Cheers,
- jsproat

--