 CAD / Development / 103
Re: DOS Makelist (was Re: Uber-install (was Re: Organizing the Site Revamp))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:56:27 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
Umm, that would be really great if you did that.  We never came up with
a replacement for James' original makelist.exe (which can only handle
1000 parts).

Why the limitation on 1000 parts?  Have all the makelist implementations
shelled out to call sort.exe?  I'm sure there's a quicksort call in the ANSI
C libraries, and stl has some great capabilities for those of the C++
persuasion...

How big would a distributable of your Perl-makelist be?  And how easy
would it be for non-techies to run?

Well, it would fit within 1/44 Mb uncompressed.  The problem with Perl is
that it behaves better if it's been installed properly; i.e. just
havingperl.exe in the same dir wouldn't be the best solution.  Requiring a
minimal install of perl wouldn't be too hot, either, especially if they
already have it installed.  Urrrr...  I think there's gotta be a way to tell
if perl's already installed.  I could probably scan PATH and check for it
there...  I shall ponder upon it some more.

Cheers,
- jsproat

--
  _