 CAD / Development / 78
Re: Organizing the Site Revamp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:26:58 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
I disagree with this.  Many people (maybe not many people into virtual
LEGO, but still) wouldn't be able to find the program later, if there
isn't an icon for it.  But making icon-installation optional would be a
Good Thing.

Optional, yes.  Good point.

- ARJ-based, for maximum cross-platform compatibility.  This version
  would not include any Windows-based programs.

Which would basically be "download LDRAW.EXE and all the LCAD updates"

- Win31-based, for an easier install while still trying to work on as
  many systems as possible.  Win32-based programs would not be included.
- The whole enchilada, which would be Win32-based, and would include
  Win32 programs such as LDLite, LDAO, L3PAO.

Using the right Win31 Program Manager API calls would do away with the need
for
a Win32 install; program folders and icons can be made on Win95 / WinNT
using the old 16-bit API.

I was thinking about how to go about wrapping the original archive and all
the
updates into one package which would be unbundled and installed via a batch
file.  Assuming someone on another platform (say, a Linux box) was using
LDraw through DOS emulation, they would concievably be able to run
COMMAND.COM.

Cheers,
- jsproat

--