 CAD / Development / 57
Re: Organizing the Site Revamp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:08:17 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
If someone makes an install file for Ldraw, can they put in an email
registration feature that lets one of us know who downloaded it and where
to contact them so they can get update notifications and more so we can
keep track of approximately how many use it..etc..?  What do you think..?

This tactic of registration, just by its intrusive nature, is evil.  Not to
mention, riddled with about a *ton* of technical details that really
shouldn't need to be worked out.  LDraw is in a continual state of growth.
If anyone *really* wants to be kept current with updates, they should keep
tabs on the Web page.

If a new install is going to be written for LDraw, it should address at
least these issues:

1)  Keeping the original self-extracting ARJ files in their current state,
unless explicit permission is received from James' folks;

2)  And be well-enough documented so that any simple questions can be
answered without having to go on-line, and on-line resources are pointed to
for the other questions -- this would probably mean bundling the FAQ and/or
a readme;

3)  And not make any assumptions about the user's OS -- e.g. not bother with
icons in the Start Menu, etc.

Cheers,
- jsproat

--