 CAD / Development / 104
Re: Uber-install (was Re: Organizing the Site Revamp)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:05:40 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
My take on this is that we can identify a group of potential users
(people who can only use DOS-level tools) who would not be able to use
tools which take up 2.5MB in the uber-download file.  So it might be
worth the additional overhead (our time and headache) to maintain a
separate install file, without the Win32 stuff.
But the 10% savings to drop out the DOS-tools would not be worth having
a spare install, IMO.

I agree.  (1)

Did I mention un-install support, Windows-system-file versioning
support, pre-checking for available disk space, and the possibility of
releasing incremental updates?

You've done this before, haven't you?  Man, what a headache.  :-P  This is
why I don't write the install code at work.

I have learned one thing:  avoid avoid avoid InstallShield!  How do you like
the Wise install tool?  Would it be able to handle all of this?  Do you need
a run-time license to use it?

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  I guess this means I can't get upset at people who quote a whole message
just to say "me too"!  :-,

--
  _
|_|  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/5249/