 CAD / Development / 41
40  |  42
Subject:
LDraw announcements/updates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 03:37:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
Thought:
If someone makes an install file for Ldraw, can they put in an email
registration feature that lets one of us know who downloaded it and
where to contact them so they can get update notifications and more
so we can keep track of approximately how many use it..etc..?  What
do you think..?

It would be possible, if we wanted to set up a mailing list...

If a separate mailing list were set up for update notifications, then
everything would have to be posted to two places (there and here).

Another possibility:  Simply create  .cad.announce  or  .cad.updates  for
this purpose.  That way anyone could get the info via e-mail or via news,
and you could direct followups to a discussion group like lugnet.cad or
lugnet.cad.dev as appropriate.

One thing worth keeping in mind about online LEGO stuff in general is that
nothing is too obscure, esoteric, or small for its own lugnet newsgroup, so
long as there are benefits to its existence.  That is, the highest goal of
the lugnet.com project is to bring people and information together rather
than to separate them (but also to give them room to breathe in focused
discussion areas).  A direct corollary of that is providing discussion and
information-dispersal forums for virtually any LEGO-related topic under the
sun, as needed.

Take the recently created S@H announcements ng for example -- many people
are happy to read it via news, but there are 27 people who receive the info
in their e-mail inbox first thing Monday morning.  I think that's pretty
neat!  Before yesterday, BTW, the S@H announcements ng was the most common
ng to subscribe to via e-mail.

--Todd