 CAD / Development / 99
Re: Uber-install (was Re: Organizing the Site Revamp)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:16:27 GMT

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:26:19 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@geocities.com>
wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:26:58 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@geocities.com>
wrote:
Which would basically be "download LDRAW.EXE and all the LCAD updates"
And (potentially) splitmpd, l3p, and ldscript.  Any others I'm
forgetting?

I personally don't use these tools.  Thus, I would be unlikely to want to
download them if I were surfing via modem.

Just to create some facts & data to work from, I created zip files
containing various parts of the whole LDraw family.  Here's what I got:

Original LDraw and all parts: 2.1MB
+DOS tools:                   2.3MB
+Win32 tools:                 4.8MB (not including L3PAO & its
                                     support files)

My take on this is that we can identify a group of potential users
(people who can only use DOS-level tools) who would not be able to use
tools which take up 2.5MB in the uber-download file.  So it might be
worth the additional overhead (our time and headache) to maintain a
separate install file, without the Win32 stuff.

But the 10% savings to drop out the DOS-tools would not be worth having
a spare install, IMO.

Hmmm... I might be muddling things.  My point is this:  Let the main
archive, parts updates, and separate tools be available separately as well
as in a big install.

Yes, that would best.

How does this sound, for a full-blown, Windows-based install script:
[...]
I wonder how you prevent duplicate entries in autoexec.bat?

This could all be easily implemented in a Perl script.  A minimal Perl
engine, uncompressed, will fit on a 1.44 Mb floppy.

Did I mention un-install support, Windows-system-file versioning
support, pre-checking for available disk space, and the possibility of
releasing incremental updates?

Steve