 CAD / Development / 77
Re: helping making new pieces and .dat format
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:23:13 GMT

Great!  We love to see new people interested in Ldraw, and especially in
creating parts.  Always feel free to ask any questions about this.

Titulaer Bart wrote in message ...
Hi there,

I'm a 25 year old Technic Lego-player, but less fanatic with internet and • news-
groups, so I discovered LDraw just some weeks ago. It works rather well and
I'm really enthousistic about it.

If I want to help with making new pieces (Technic of course, I don't have • many
others) what's the procedure?

Check out the Ldraw FAQ, which was just posted to this ng.  Then ask any
additional questions.

After spitting up the ldlite source-code I still don't know the difference
between the type 4 lines and the type 5 lines in .dat files. What's the
difference?

There is a pretty good section on optional lines in the Ldraw FAQ, but I'll
try my hand at an explaination:

Type 1 lines are for primitives, sub-parts, etc.
Type 2 lines are just point A to point B line segments.
Type 3 lines are triangles
Type 4 lines are quadrilaterals (quads for short)
Type 5 lines are "optional" point A to point B line segments.  Here's how they
work:
  The first two columns are line type and color, as usual.  The next 6 columns
are the x,y,x coordinates of point A and point B.  Then the last 6 columns are
x,y,x of points C and D, which are used to determine whether or not the
optional line gets drawn.  If, in the rendering view, points C and D lie on
the same side of a line through points A and B, then the optional line gets
drawn, otherwise not.  Type 5 lines are used for curved surfaces so that only
edge lines on the outer edge of the surface get drawn.  If you think of a
cylinder standing upright, you want edge verticle lines to show at the extreme
right and left sides of the cylinder, but not on the surface of the cylinder
between the extremes.

For chosing points C and D, you use the "previous" and "next" points on the
circle on which point A or point B lie.  So if point A is at 0 degrees on the
"top" circle of the cylinder, you could use the point at -22.5 degrees on the
top circle for C and the point at +22.5 degrees for point D.  Alternatively,
you could use the previous and next points on the bottom circle, and I have
even seen people use the previous point from the top circle and the next point
from the bottom circle.

Best of luck to you, and I look forward to seeing your contributions!

-John Van