 CAD / Development / 6368
Re: LDGLite bug report (yes, one more)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:36:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Don:

Also I wonder if it makes sense to add an option to render without
edge lines.

Definitely.

They look pretty crummy to me at this scale.

Yup. :-(

I think it's gonna be a while before I can get organized enough to
roll a new release, but this edge line option, as well as the camera
and near/far clip plane controls, have been added to the sources if
you want to try it out.  You can get them out of CVS on the sourceforge.
From readme.txt:

-fr turns off edge lines (Render mode?  Rough draft?)
-J picks the perspective projection.
-zN sets the near clipping plane.
-ZN sets the far clipping plane.
-caN sets the camera field of view angle in degrees.  (like l3p)
-ccX,Y,Z sets the camera location.  (like l3p)
-coX,Y,Z sets the model origin for the camera to look at.
-cuX,Y,Z sets the camera up vector.

I'm not sure what coordinate system to do the camera settings in.
Right now they're in OpenGl world coords, not LDRAW coords.
Once I get this sorted out, I'd like to also allow camera control
and perhaps even lighting control in ldliterc.dat.  Any thoughts on
this?  I'll have to look at light.dat.  Did anyone ever come up with
specs for a camera.dat file?

Back to the bug report.  I found another problem with the perspective
projection under Mesa.  It seems to take all polys and turn them to
face the camera for a really jagged look.  The edge lines are OK though.
Mesa even does this with small models.  The weird thing is, I don't
remember seeing this before, so maybe it's a bug in recent versions of
Mesa.  I'll have dig up an older version of Mesa and try it out.

Don