 CAD / Development / 6390
Re: LDGLite bug report (yes, one more)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:54:24 GMT

I added some depth-queuing to LDLite, with a simple fade-to-black
as you get away from the camera, in the hopes that it would let
the green trees stand out from the green baseplates:

Would anyone find this useful?
-gyug

In lugnet.cad.dev, Paul Gyugyi writes:
I did some work on LDLite this weekend.
An image of an LDLite rendered town.mpd is at:

This image used the -fr option to turn off lines, and has ldlite
shading turned on, so it looks a little different than the others.
Rendering time was 828 seconds on my PIII/450MHz. I'm also seeing
the warnings about missing files that were mentioned in another
thread, so I'll have track down those missing pieces.

The command line was:
ldlite -mc -s0.2 -fr town.mpd

I think this is the un-optimized town.mpd file. I got
it from:
http://jacob.sparre.dk/LEGO/Byggevejledninger/datsville.zip

The changes I made to the memory allocation now allow LDLite to
handle files of arbitrary size, as long as you have enough memory.
The fixes should be rolled into CVS next weekend, and 2.3 will be
released for Labor Day.

-gyug

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Don:

I'm sort of interested in what you get for render times with
both parsers.

Using the "l3" parser:

$ time ldglite -ms -i1 -s0.2 -l3 town.mpd
281.790u 21.700s 8:48.81 57.3%  0+0k 0+0io 2290pf+0w
$

A total of 303.49 seconds. The result:

http://hugin.ldraw.org/temp/town-parallel-l3_parser.png

Using the "ld" parser:

$ time ldglite -ms -i1 -s0.2 -ld town.mpd
422.900u 19.870s 8:00.28 92.1%  0+0k 0+0io 784pf+0w
$

A total of 442.77 seconds. The result:

http://hugin.ldraw.org/temp/town-parallel-ld_parser.png

As you can see is the "l3" parser both faster _and_ able to
parse and render the whole model.

Jacob