 CAD / Development / 5966
Re: Need part number for a dangerous predator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:45:37 GMT

"Lee Gaiteri" <LummoxJR@aol.com> wrote in message
That's a good idea for a LDraw tool!  I generally find that edge lines
are fairly difficult to handle, so I reckon other people will enjoy
the idea as well.

Fredrik

I've done a little more work on the edger, and in the process I've • discovered
it's a *dandy* integrity checker. Edges that don't match up to just two • shapes
tend to leave one edge dangling; this helped me find an unnecessary • triangle in
the cat. I also discovered another place where the triangles were done
incorrectly about the ears, and a messed-up vertex on the forepaws.

This could be of huge benefit to parts authors.  Manually adding
conditional lines on complex surfaces has to be the _worst_ part of
authoring!

The only place the edger seems to fail in finding what should be an edge • is
when part of that edge is accounted for. It doesn't understand yet that • two
shapes might share part of an edge, not all of it. In this case I had a • line
extending partway along the longer edge adjoining two quadrilaterals, • and
needed a conditional line along the shorter edge that they shared. • Ultimately I
had to fudge this; the edger thought both the long and short edges were • single
edges because they didn't match up completely. I'll probably improve the
program soon to account for these cases.

I'm not sure why you would have an edgeline partway along the shared edge
between two quads.  Unless you have a case where one of the quads extends
beyond the other quad.  For example:

A      B
C D  E
F  G  H

Where ABEC is a longer quad which shares its lower edge with quads CDGF
and DEHG.

In that case, you would be better off replacing ABEC with a quad ABDC and
a tri BED.  This prevents unsightly rendering holes caused by rounding
error.

Since I don't want to keep posting large .dat files to the news server, • I'm
keeping the latest version of the cat part on my Lego site (fairly new • and in
progress): http://www.lummoxjr.com/lego/legos.html
The newest .dat has the cat's inconsistencies and broken vertices fixed, • as
well as all the conditional lines it needs.

Once you finalize the part, you might consider reposting it.  Todd doesn't
mind the multiple .dat files, and someone searching for the cat 3 months
from now will have a better chance finding the most recent file if it's on
Lugnet.

Anyway, great part, and potentially even greater utility.

-John Van