 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2410
Re: Need part number for a dangerous predator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 03:02:00 GMT

This could be of huge benefit to parts authors.  Manually adding
conditional lines on complex surfaces has to be the _worst_ part of
authoring!

Indeed. The task was way too daunting for me with all the triangles and
quadrilaterals that were in place.

I'm not sure why you would have an edgeline partway along the shared edge
between two quads.  Unless you have a case where one of the quads extends
beyond the other quad.  For example:

A      B
C D  E
F  G  H

Where ABEC is a longer quad which shares its lower edge with quads CDGF
and DEHG.

This is the sort of case that exists in my cat. On the bottom, back edge of the
stud hole, there's a slight raised section in the middle. One quad shares parts
of its edge with two others; a short line marks the lower portion of the edge,
but the upper part needs a conditional line.

In that case, you would be better off replacing ABEC with a quad ABDC and
a tri BED.  This prevents unsightly rendering holes caused by rounding
error.

Eh; considering the line in this case is completely vertical, rounding errors
may be a bit less likely anyway.

Once you finalize the part, you might consider reposting it.  Todd doesn't
mind the multiple .dat files, and someone searching for the cat 3 months
from now will have a better chance finding the most recent file if it's on
Lugnet.

Anyway, great part, and potentially even greater utility.

I'm not sure I can consider the part finalized yet, but the errors are
definitely gone.
I've posted the edger utility at my site. You'll need Java to use it, since
it's written in Java, but it works. Source is included.

http://www.lummoxjr.com/lego/legos.html

Lee Gaiteri