 CAD / Development / 5724
5723  |  5725
Subject:
Rubber Black (was: New Part - 30187 Minifig Motorcycle with 3 Wheels Body)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:09:17 GMT

This is a separate reply, because this stuff needed to be XFUT
lugnet.cad.dev.

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss writes:

Also, I'm unsure about using color 256 for the tyres in the shortcut files.
There was some discussion around using that color, but I don't think there
was any clear acceptance of it as an official "matte black".

Should I change these to "0" for black? :-\

Or we (that's an inclusive we, not just Paul, Steve and Franklin) should
make a decision on what we want to do with "rubber black".

There's definitely precedent for establishing a distinct color code that
will also inform material/texture settings for advanced renderings (ie,
having a "rubber black" separate from "regular black").  But it would also
make sense to add information to each part file, indicating the proper
material for that part.  LEGO also has made gray tyres, which are a
different 'color' than the standard gray.  It would be nice to just select
"gray" for the tire, and have the CAD software know that tires are matte
ruber, not shiny ABS.

Getting more detailed, we can also look at things like sloped surfaces,
which are matte in an otherwise smooth/shiny part.  Or minifig hands and
flex tubes, which are made of POM, not ABS, and look different from regular
bricks.

Should we establish a '0 TREATMENT' meta-statement?  Or is that overkill?

What approach would be easiest to translate to POV-Ray?  What about other
raytracing renderers?

Steve