 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2064
Re: New Part - 30187 Minifig Motorcycle with 3 Wheels Body
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:43:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter wrote:

The orientation of the parts looks just right.  I agree with the
categorization of the motorcycle parts under "Car".

It was the only one that made much sense... Will the 2 wheel motorbike go
here too?  I believe someone else is nearly finished with it.

It's the only *current* category that makes sense.  We may need to switch
over to a generic "Vehicle" category at sometime.

I'm not sure about the the "Minifig Motorcycle with 3 Wheels" name.  I
don't *dislike* it, but I wonder if there's something better. Specifically:

Lutz had these two lines in his list;
30189  Tricycle Pivot
30190  Tricycle Front Wheel Center
I personally like Tricycle, but I had a suggestion to change it, so I did.

I kinda like Tricycle.  It *might* be confused with the DUPLO Tricycle, but
I doubt it.

The more I think about it, I don't think it should be there(Minifig).

I'm thinking so, too.  Can you drop it?

- Might there be some word or term that would cover all the minifig/prefab
vehicles: the motorcycle, the bicycle and the motortrike.

Cycles, other vehicles?

How about "Bike"?  Like:

Bike  2 Wheel Bicycle
Bike  2 Wheel Motorcycle
Bike  3 Wheel Motorcycle

Could you make another shortcut file?  One that would include a minifig
rider?  This file would be:

30187C02.DAT  Motorcycle with 3 Wheels with Rider Shortcut

Should the minifig be a shortcut as well, or all the minifig pieces with the
bike in one file? The head will need to be verticle for helmet placement, if
possible, right?

I can go either way on whether the minifig parts should be inlined or a
separate shortcut file.  Does a minifig strike the same pose on the the
three different vehicles?  I don't think they do.  But, if they do pose the
same way, then a shortcut minifig file would make sense.  Otherwise, for
the sake of minimizing extra files, just put the minifig parts inline.

If you include a helmet on the rider (this *is* a legal requirement in some
places ;), then it will make it easy for people to replace the helmet with
whatever hat they want.

Colorwise, I'd make the wheel centres white in the shortcut files.  I did a
(very) short survey, and it looks like white is the predominant wheel-hub
color for motortrikes.

This is what I thought... The few we had all had white wheels, however, we
had some yellow wheels that came on other sets. I didn't check to see if
other sets had white or other color wheels.

That's fine.  The general shortcut file doesn't have to be perfect.  It
makes sense (to me) to hard-code the hub color, but make the body color
flexible.

If the hubs are at strange positions in the shortcut file, you might even
put the three wheels in a different shortcut file, so modelers can change
the hub colors, but keep the positioning correct.

Steve