 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2037
Re: New Part - 30187 Minifig Motorcycle with 3 Wheels Body
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:45:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter wrote:

Hello,
Can someone take a look at my next set of parts and give me some feedback. I
have been working on this Minifig 3 wheel motorcycle for a LONG time now and
would like to consider it done. However I will welcome any comments or changes.

Wow!  They look great! :)

Comments, keywords, category, etc????

I haven't looked at the DAT code in enough detail to make many comments
about it.  What I did look at, looked good.

The orientation of the parts looks just right.  I agree with the
categorization of the motorcycle parts under "Car".

I'm not sure about the the "Minifig Motorcycle with 3 Wheels" name.  I
don't *dislike* it, but I wonder if there's something better. Specifically:

- Is there a general, non-trademark name for three-wheeled motorbikes?
- Is the leading "Minifig" a good thing?  Since the advanced categorization
is "Car", throwing the parts in the middle of the Minifig parts
(alphabetically) could be misleading.
- Might there be some word or term that would cover all the minifig/prefab
vehicles: the motorcycle, the bicycle and the motortrike.

These files:

30189C1.DAT   Minifig Motorcycle with 3 Wheels Handlebars shortcut
30187C1.DAT   MotorBike Body 3 wheel complete shortcut

should be changed to:

30189C01.DAT  Minifig Motorcycle with 3 Wheels Handlebars Shortcut
30187C01.DAT  Minifig Motorcycle with 3 Wheels Shortcut

side note: I think we should change the nomenclature "(Complete Assembly
Shortcut)" to simply "Shortcut" for all files.

Could you make another shortcut file?  One that would include a minifig
rider?  This file would be:

30187C02.DAT  Motorcycle with 3 Wheels with Rider Shortcut

0 KEYWORDS minifig, tricycle, motorbike, motorcycle, motor, cycle

You could add "ATV", "chopper", "Town", "City Centre", and any other themes
you can think of.

Colorwise, I'd make the wheel centres white in the shortcut files.  I did a
(very) short survey, and it looks like white is the predominant wheel-hub
color for motortrikes.

Also, I'm unsure about using color 256 for the tyres in the shortcut files.
There was some discussion around using that color, but I don't think there
was any clear acceptance of it as an official "matte black".

Steve