 CAD / Development / 3089
Re: Track parts naming scheme survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:16:04 GMT

Snipped most of a well thought out posting.

Adviesbureau Noord/Zuidlijn wrote:

Lets leave "Bottom" out. "4.5V Slotted" gives enough information.
I would say "Train Track  4.5V Slotted Straight"

12v parts

center conductor straight
center conductor rounded

Hmm, I would like to call these parts:

Train Track 12 V Power Insert Curved
Train Track 12 V Power Insert Straight

I agree with your ordering, and tapered is a better descriptor than
rounded.

Where I differ is in the use of 4.5 V, 12 V and 9 V in the naming. While
I don't think gen 1, 2 or 3 are good, these aren't either. We've had the
debate about naming parts based on first usage before and I'm in the
camp that is against it.

The 4.5v rail is used for a number of things other than 4.5v track. Now,
it's true that most of those things are railish in nature (tracks for
overhead cranes, gun carriages and the like) so calling it track seems
OK (1) but calling it 4.5v seems wrong to me. This is an old debate and
if we can't come up with a better name, so be it. But I feel it's worth
a try.

1 - calling it RAIL would be better. Track consists of rail, sleepers
(or ties in US parlance) and a bunch of smaller parts like spikes and
tie plates that we don't simulate with LEGO, we just put the rail right
on the sleeper.. so I'd argue for rail, sleeper and track used in the
appropriate places. Put rail/sleeper etc. AFTER track if you want it to
sort right.