 CAD / Development / 3065
3064  |  3066
Subject:
Track parts naming scheme survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:07:54 GMT

Hello all

We have another fine naming issue on our hand, which is always good for a
lively discussion tread :-)

The issue is about the parts from the group "Train Track  4.5V". I believe two
different types are known here:

1- the oldest "Blue" type of track, that was mounted on regular  2 x  8 Plates
2- the newer "Grey" type of track, that had to be mounted on specially notched
   sleepers (or ties)

These types where in use (and are still preferred by some) before the
currently available 9V metal track came on the market.

Because I believed that the colours where the best commonly known attributes
for the two types of 4.5V track, my original proposal was to use the
designations "Blue" and "Grey" as distinctive descriptors in the name.
Some of you object principally against the use of colours as descriptors in
the name, and in a way I think those people are right.

I might be persuaded to designate the newer "Grey" type with de
descriptor "Slotted" as part of the name, but I would really dislike using
something ugly like "Unslotted", "Non Slotted" or "Without Slots" for the
other type.

My proposal is to use the descriptor "Tapered" for the oldest "Blue" type of
track, based on the fact that both end of the parts are tapered, downward at
the "half way up"-level and "negative/upwards" at the bottom. This tapering
allowed rather sudden changes in inclination from one segment to another.

Based on these descriptors the full names would be:

For the "Blue" type:

Train Track  4.5V Tapered Crossing
Train Track  4.5V Tapered Points Left
Train Track  4.5V Tapered Points Right
Train Track  4.5V Tapered Curved Inside
Train Track  4.5V Tapered Curved Outside
Train Track  4.5V Tapered Straight

For "Grey" type:

Train Track  4.5V Slotted Crossing
Train Track  4.5V Slotted Points Left
Train Track  4.5V Slotted Points Right
Train Track  4.5V Slotted Curved Inside
Train Track  4.5V Slotted Curved Outside
Train Track  4.5V Slotted Straight

Don't get your hopes high up, I won't be making all of this track.
Of course, this naming scheme also allows for 9V track parts and special 12V
track parts to be added in their own distinctive groups.
(that is why there is an extra space character in front off 4.5V)

The bottom line question is: Can everybody live with this naming scheme ?

Greetings, Manfred Moolhuysen.