 CAD / Development / 11082
Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 22:22:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Anders Isaksson wrote:
<snip
You're aware of the fact that Delphi is going multiplatform in coming
releases? First the Mac, later linux. Still, it's an unseen card, we don't
know how good it will be, and how long they (Embarcadero) will pursue the
multiplatform track this time (remember Kylix?).

There's also FPC (Free Pascal Compiler) which is relatively Delphi
compatible (non-visual parts), and multi platform since quite some time. You
can use most popular widget sets with it, and it's got both a 32 bit and a
64 bit compiler. I don't have much experience with it, but it looks
promising, and there are people doing real commercial programs in FPC.

I didn't know of the multiplatform plans for Delphi, but considering the way it
went with Kylix (and now 64 bit) I'm not going to wait for it.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Delphi and always have, dating all the way back to
Turbo Pascal, but lately I'm getting the impression it's a dieing trade. And I
don't want to end up being a Delphi only developer in a world where's no need
for them :).

So I'm basically expanding my expertise, I'll probably keep using multiple
Delphi versions for existing projects for years. And if embargo (or who ever
buys Delphi next week) gets the multiplatform stuff at a competitive level I'll
be the first to change back to using Delphi full time again.

I also been keeping an eye on freepascal/Lazarus but last time I tried that it
still had a very beta or even alfa feel to it all.

Roland