 CAD / Development / 11073
    What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Roland Melkert
   I all, I've been a Delphi programmer both private and work related for over 15 years , but I think it's time to take a dive in the multiplatform world. So in order to get the hang of things I decided to start a new LDraw application in means of a (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Tore Eriksson
     (...) Why do you want to go multiplatform? Good thing that .NET is off the table! It's a pain for us users, too. /Tore (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Roland Melkert
     (...) Couple of reasons really: 1. Some of my customers are asking about the cost/timeframe of a non windows version of their software. 2. I think windows only software has had it best time, Linux is maturing quickly and Apple is gaining ground. 3. (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Remi Gagne
     (...) wxWidgets isn't bad, but for serious, heavy-UI applications, Qt is far, far better. Its QtCreator IDE & debugger isn't bad either, and is easy to get started with. And QtDesigner, its drag-n-drop UI developer, is one of the few such tools I've (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Roland Melkert
     (...) Thanks, I've been looking at Qt but as far I understand it's license doesn't permit commercially static linked closed applications, something I need for my business projects. I know you could link dynamically but that probably raises all kinds (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Remi Gagne
     (...) Qt is licensed under the LGPL which allows commercial use, either statically or dynamically linked, without problems. The only caveat is that if you modify Qt itself, you must release your modifications to Qt as open source. (...) If native (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Roland Melkert
     In lugnet.cad.dev, Remi Gagne wrote: <snip> (...) hmm, I thought LGPL mend you can only dynamically link to the library, I'll have to take another look it seems. Thanks. (...) <snip> (...) Yes, I've heard more people talking about Python like it's (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Anders Isaksson
     (...) You're aware of the fact that Delphi is going multiplatform in coming releases? First the Mac, later linux. Still, it's an unseen card, we don't know how good it will be, and how long they (Embarcadero) will pursue the multiplatform track this (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Roland Melkert
     In lugnet.cad.dev, Anders Isaksson wrote: <snip (...) I didn't know of the multiplatform plans for Delphi, but considering the way it went with Kylix (and now 64 bit) I'm not going to wait for it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Delphi and always have, (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Anders Isaksson
     (...) I'm not sure Lazarus is the way to go with FPC, there's too much of 'Delphi look-alike but never getting there' over Lazarus. But there are other ways of using FPC. (14 years ago, 28-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Michael Heidemann
     (...) SNIP (...) Some years ago I was looking for the same thing for the LDraw Tools I had in mind. As I only did it for personal use any commercial software was out of the race. Also the C based languages are not good for me as I did never code in (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Roland Melkert
     In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Heidemann wrote: snip (...) snip (...) I'm excluding .NET because it's proprietary and I don't like the way MS is pushing it. Also Mono is reversed engineered which means it will never be completely up to pair and or (...) (14 years ago, 27-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Orion Pobursky
     (...) As a Delphi programmer you might give Lazarus and freepascal a whirl. Since I also use Delphi, I tried it to make MPDWizard cross platform and it performed well. One sticking point in getting LDDP converted over is that JCL/JVCL isn't (...) (14 years ago, 28-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Roland Melkert
     In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert wrote: <snip> (...) Thanks for all the tips everybody, I've been playing around this weekend and decided to start writing something semi serious using C++ and ether wxWidgets or Qt. And for an IDE I decided on using (...) (14 years ago, 31-May-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) <snip> (...) Hi Roland, I use Qt (free) with static binding for LPub4. It works pretty well, and is well organized, but the learning curve is big (but not too steep). Kevin (14 years ago, 1-Jun-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Travis Cobbs
     I know you've already mostly decided on a direction, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents. LDView takes a different tack for cross-platform support: all the back-end code is cross-platform C++, but the UI code is platform-specific. So my Windows (...) (14 years ago, 1-Jun-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Roland Melkert
     (...) <snip> (...) Thanks for the insight, Actually the more 'local' feel to interfaces is the reason why I'm a bit more leaning towards wxWidgets at the moment, it uses native controls where possible on all platforms. But Qt is clearly more (...) (14 years ago, 2-Jun-10, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Jacob Sparre Andersen
   (...) I know this answer is coming a bit late, but you'll get it anyway. I use Ada as my primary programming language. You can get Ada compilers targeting practically anything from Atmel microcontrollers over SCUD2 warheads to Intel CPUs with (...) (13 years ago, 29-Jun-11, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development —Roland Melkert
   (...) I don't mind, always nice to learn something new. (...) I never heard of this language, after a quick lookup on wikipedia it seems interesting. I like the strong typing ala pascal. It's something I miss in C++. (...) Seems very interesting, (...) (13 years ago, 29-Jun-11, to lugnet.cad.dev)