 CAD / Development / 11079
Re: What do LDraw dev people use for multiplatform development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 20:55:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Remi Gagne wrote:

I've been looking at Qt but as far I understand it's license doesn't permit
commercially static linked closed applications, something I need for my business
projects. I know you could link dynamically but that probably raises all kinds
of dependency problems.

Qt is licensed under the LGPL which allows commercial use, either statically or
dynamically linked, without problems.  The only caveat is that if you modify Qt
itself, you must release your modifications to Qt as open source.

About native code, well I might just be a purist but I always find it nice to
get those extra couple of milliseconds at places where it really counts (eg a
rendering engine). Also I have developed some cad programs work wise and might
need to do more in the future, so I thought why not use Native all the time to
keep things simple.

If native code isn't a hard requirement, you may want to take a good look at
Python and PyQt.  Your app might run a few miliseconds slower but, compared to
C++, you'll develop it in half the time and with some 3x less code to maintain.
You users will appreciate more features & fewer bugs far more than imperceptible
performance gains ;)

Remi