 CAD / datFest / 17
16  |  18
Subject:
LDraw CD-ROM Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.datfest
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 04:52:45 GMT

A few people have been entertaining the idea of creating an LDraw
CD-ROM.  I discussed it with Terry and Jacob, and then obtained the
permission of the Jessiman family to go ahead with it.  I thought I'd
present this idea to the group for feedback and help.

The main idea is to have this available for distribution during
datFest.  The remaining copies will be sold off from the website at
cost plus shipping.  This is not intended for profit, but as a service
to new and existing users to ease their use of the software and to
make it the easiest possible to set up.

It would be ideal to include LDraw, related utilities, rendering
tools, editors, model examples and OMR archives as a part of this
package.  Special reference sections can be devised which include the
LDraw & LEdit Tutorial, a parts creation guide, etc.  I would like it
if there could be an install wizard which completely installed
everything so it worked together and created desktop/start menu icons
for win 95 users.

The CD would be officially produced by the group of LDraw users
formerly known as 'L-CAD,' the users of lugnet.cad.dev.

Here is some pricing information I have from a quote on manufacturing
650 copies:

  650   650 CD's at $0.90   585.00
    1     1 Glass master (free @ 1000+)   175.00
    2     2 Silk Screen Colours on CD     0.00
    1     1 CD label setup charge     0.00
    1   650 CD-ROM Multimedia Setup     0.00
    0     0 CD-R master transfer to glass     0.00
    1 1000 Full colour printed cardboard pouch   665.00
    0     0 No Printing     0.00
    2     1 Shipping    98.75
Total in U.S. Dollars 1523.75

This will include a 2 color (red and black ldraw.org colors) CD
surface design, and a full color printed pouch, including the same
design plus applicable screenshots, etc.  The up front cost is not
that unbearable, when you consider it comes out to roughly $2.34/CD.

What are some thoughts on the project?  Would anyone like to help
organize stuff to be placed on the CD?  Or would anyone like to help
contribute to the cost of having them manufactured?

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne