 CAD / Development / 3927
Re: LDraw CD-ROM Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 16:06:01 GMT

Note, I'm in the press the CD camp... at least for now, but I reserve
the right to change sides. :-)

Tim Courtney wrote:
Tore Erikson said:
That's why I'd prefer a CD-r and not a CD-ROM. Then if the CD-r is left open,
at least we who have a writer could update the CD.

I really don't see how this is much different than a link on the CD pointing
to official updates.  As long as it clear that parts and models databases are
continually growing, people can download them themselves.  They'll have to
download updates anyways to update the CD.  And if the CD includes HTML pages,
they'll only include info about items included on the CD originally.

I think the idea is that the CD-r is something that could be updated
with new stuff but still using the same jacket, just a small sticker
saying v 1.1.... downloading updates defeats the one stop shopping
approach... the CD-R could be something I take to a friends house to get
him up to speed quickly. downloading slows that down

It's getting more and more common at my work that we obtain original • commercial software on CD-r's, so in my eyes, it
wo'nt look "cheap".

Though that may be so, the general public might not see it that way.

The Jessiman family also said in an email to me that they feel a
professionally done CD-ROM would be the way to go.

Well, they're not the most computer literate. So they may well be
referring to the appearance of the packaging rather than whethere it's a
CD or CD-R

The firm I work for ships software that costs up to 250,000 USD to
license (that's right, 6 digits) on CD-Rs.... they come in a case that
has a professionally printed  liner with our copyright and license
agreement, the company badging, etc... looks very slick. The CD-R even
has artwork on it that identifies it as ours, but it's still a CD-R.
That's because we do updates every 2 weeks or so and we want customers
to get the very latest image.

I'm not advocating that you get artwork on the CD but you still could go
the CD-R approach with artwork for the case and it would look quite
professional... IF you decided not to go the regular CD route.

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!