 CAD / Development / 3920
Re: LDraw CD-ROM Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 06:59:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Well, that's a good question. There isn't much of anything that better
determines who will buy it than asking people to pay for it up front,
which is what I was suggesting be done with an X account. That way you
don't have checks to worry about depositing (believe me, this is a major
hassle, I wish I had never started factoring) and if it comes undone you
don't have to hassle with writing and mailing checks back you can just X
the money back to them.

Are you referring to www.x.com, or is X a type of account at a normal
bank?

I'd make an exception in my advocacy (of getting a reasonable markup
from everyone) for the Jessiman family and ONLY for them so they do
indeed get it at cost. But that's your call.

I do think that they should get as many CDs as they like for cost,
because of the family connection to James and also because they gave
us permission to produce the CDs.  But I agree, they should be the
ONLY ones to get them at cost.

Money that you are husbanding cannot, I feel, go into a mutual fund, as
you cannot in good conscience risk loss. You have a fiduciary
responsibility. But you certainly can go after the highest interest
demand deposit you can find. X pays 1 percent, then shifts to 4 percent
when you get to 1000, and it's a checking account.

Ok.

Are you suggesting collecting before pressing the CDs, then mailing them all
at once?

No, I'm suggesting collecting before you even pay the CD company for
anything. Then yes, press them all at once, and mail them to the non
.datFest participants. Make sure everyone gives you their shipping
address electronically, get use of a laser printer that can take label
feed, get some free priority mail labels and mailers from the PO, set up
an address format and paste the addys that you were sent into them,
crank up the laser, and have a CD mailing party.

So who'se ordering the pizza? :)

Tell you what, I'll print all the labels for you if you give me a file
with the addresses, formatted the way I specify (TBD, I haven't thought
about the best way to do it yet) with everyone's names in it. My HP 2100
can whip through that job in nothing flat. I'll prio all the labels back
to you at my expense.

Cool!  Thanks.

Collect your .datFest registration up front, the way MindFest did and
you're all set on those folks share of the CD production run.

Yeah.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org