 CAD / Development / 3924
Re: LDraw CD-ROM Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 15:17:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson writes:
Adam Ogle wrote:

How about have a submission for the CD to include models (sample models).

And that 50Mb animation I searched for in vain!

Good idea!  Animations done with LDraw and POV-Ray SHOULD be included if we
can collect them all.

That's why I'd prefer a CD-r and not a CD-ROM. Then if the CD-r is left open,
at least we who have a writer could update the CD.

I really don't see how this is much different than a link on the CD pointing
to official updates.  As long as it clear that parts and models databases are
continually growing, people can download them themselves.  They'll have to
download updates anyways to update the CD.  And if the CD includes HTML pages,
they'll only include info about items included on the CD originally.

It's getting more and more common at my work that we obtain original • commercial software on CD-r's, so in my eyes, it
wo'nt look "cheap".

Though that may be so, the general public might not see it that way.

The Jessiman family also said in an email to me that they feel a
professionally done CD-ROM would be the way to go.

-Tim