 CAD / Development / 3912
Re: LDraw CD-ROM Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 22:55:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Look, my point is just this: before 1800 is shelled out, make sure that
you have some reasonable expectation of recovering all or most of it.
I'll gladly put up a hundred bucks to make this happen, with no
expectation of getting anything other than one CD back, but only if the
homework is done. Again, 650 CDs is a large number for a community this
size to absorb.

How do you suggest going about determining how many people will buy the CD?
BTW - the Jessiman family requested 50 copies already at cost. :)

As to the price, do NOT set it so that if you sell 600, you break even.
Set it so that if you sell 100, or 150, you break even. Way less risk
that way. No one is saying that you need to be out to make a profit. Non
profit organizations often charge more than cost for a particular thing,
in order to build up funds so that they are not stumping for donations
in order to get the NEXT project off the ground. That does NOT mean that
they are making a profit, per se, it means that they are managing their
funds wisely.

Another good idea I didn't think of.  Me also being banking/finance
illiterate, would this go into a savings account?  Mutual funds even, so we
can earn more?

The PC club I ran for 3 years had a fund of many thousands in the bank
which it used to bankroll activities without worrying about where the up
front money was going to come from or whether each activity exactly
covered its costs.

Solid advice, I hear you here.

Collecting in advance is a good idea. Make it hassle free for both
parties and require that people pay by X, that is the lowest labor way
to transfer money at this point.

Are you suggesting collecting before pressing the CDs, then mailing them all
at once?

My main idea for a use for this CD would be to include it for .datFest
registration, so there needs to be enough to have for whoever registers as
well.

BTW - does ANYONE have contacts at a college in the Boston area besides MIT
and Harvard?  A college campus would be a great place to have .datFest, and
help is really needed on this....

-Tim