 CAD / Development / 4147
Re: LDraw CD-ROM Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:08:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson writes:
Adam Ogle wrote:

Good idea!  Animations done with LDraw and POV-Ray SHOULD be included if we
can collect them all.

That's why I'd prefer a CD-r and not a CD-ROM. Then if the CD-r is left open,
at least we who have a writer could update the CD.

Attention:
Not all the people who have a PC have a CD writer ! Don't forget that.
Also, don't forget the kids, there are still a lot of people who buy a pc for
their children to play games, but the parents aren't interested in the pc.

I really don't see how this is much different than a link on the CD pointing
to official updates.  As long as it clear that parts and models databases are
continually growing, people can download them themselves.  They'll have to
download updates anyways to update the CD.  And if the CD includes HTML pages,
they'll only include info about items included on the CD originally.

The Jessiman family also said in an email to me that they feel a
professionally done CD-ROM would be the way to go.

I share this opinion, and concerning the 'update', more and more people have
nowadays internet connection at home, so place a link to the LDRAW.ORG site
or / and LUGNET.com  with goes straight to an 'update' page.
Anyhow, if you want to place as much as possible programs and .DAT /.MPD and
POV files on the CD, how much space will there be left to 'update' the
original CD-R ??

Also as mentioned in an other message, try to make the CD installing itself.
I do have a official CD-ROM with POV on it (The Internet Raytracing
Competition Year one 1996-1997) and there's a animated POV file on it (not
Lego related).
I installed the program once, but i can't work with it.
Conclusion : i removed it from my hard disc.

Ludo.