 CAD / 8702
Re: *** LDView Version 1.9.7 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:21:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson writes:
Suggestions:

Do a one-time scan of the LDRAW directory, and build a translation table in
memory between your way of file name normalization, and the actual, file
system, file names. Then you just go through this table for every
reference... (Hashed array?)

That's a good idea, but since LDView caches files after reading them, it
will only ever check for any particular file once.  So I don't think this
will help.  It might help, though, since I would essentiall scan the entire
LDraw parts directory once and store the results.  Currently, it does a glob
pattern for each part, which forces the filesystem to scan the directory for
matching parts each time.

Or build this table incrementally when each part is referenced for the first
time...

See above.

Or make a utility to rename a directory hierarchy in a normalized way...

I had actually considered this, but people would have to re-run it every
time they install a parts update.  On the other hand, if it speeds things up
significantly, they might be willing to do that.  However, with my current
code, it will still have the problem that any directories anywhere in the
LDraw path that contain mixed case will trigger the full search mode.  This
problem will go away once I stop internally converting the case of the LDraw
path.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)