 CAD / 8687
Re: *** LDView Version 1.9.7 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:26:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Travis Cobbs wrote:

QT-based Linux version

Cool. Thanks.

I downloaded the Linux/x86 binary to what I believe is a Red
Hat 7.3 system (might be 7.2 though), to test it.

Even though the "File" -> "LDraw Dir" menu shows the correct
directory, LDView claims that it is unable to find the files
my models use.

Thanks for the report.  My first guess is that this is caused by a
case-sensitive filesystem, and the files have a different case than what the
model specifies.  All my testing at home was done using an LDraw install on
my Windows drive that I mounted in Linux.  (Note that the default place the
Linux LDView looks for the LDraw install is in /mnt/c/ldraw, although this
isn't where I personally had mine.)

So, I guess I have a couple of questions.  Is your LDraw directory on a
case-sensitive filesystem?  (If it's not a Windows/DOS-based filesystem like
FAT, VFAT, or NTFS, it is almost certainly case sensitive.)  If so, does
your Linux computer have Windows installed on it also?  If so, you should be
able to fix the problem by having your Windows drive mounted and pointing to
the LDraw directory contained on it.

Note that using the Windows LDraw install is suggested as a temporary
work-around.  I definintely need to make changes to my code to make it work
better on case-sensitive filesystems.  Right now there isn't any special
code to deal with this problem.  I have a number of things I can do that
should help out, but they aren't in there at the moment.  In fact, I think
I'll implement a fall-back condition so that if all upper case fails and all
lower case fails, it manually looks for the file in any case.  Right now,
though it simply uses the case encoded in the model.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)