 CAD / 8478
Re: Chrome Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:17:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
None of the standard/extended colors are *supposed* to be dithered.
Only the non-standard colors between 256 and 511 should be dithered.

Is there really a reason they should be dithered?  The only reason they were
dithered originally is because LDraw ran in 16 color mode, and that was the
only way to support more colors, right?  If so, then I would argue that if
you can generate the correct actual color, this is better than using
dithered colors.

This brings up another question, though.  Are the colors between 256 and 511
supposed to be combinations of the original LDraw colors, or should they be
combinations of the actual LEGO colors?  As far as I know, most of the
current viewers (L3P, LDLite, LDGLite, LDView) use different colors for the
first 16 colors than LDraw did in an attempt to produce colors that match
actual LEGO colors.

On the other hand, since the dithered colors are in a different category,
should the original LDraw color definitions be used instead for the two
components of the dither?

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)