 CAD / 8463
Re: Chrome Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:36:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
Because of a change to the way Partsref images are generated, the silver
and gold images dropped in quality from "poor" to "useless".  Until I
can figure out a way to generate images that actually look right, and
are the same size as the other colors, Partsref won't get new gold and
silver images.

How do you currently generate the images?  Perhaps we could help.

I generate them with LDLite, scaled up 3x, with thick edges.  Then I run
them through ImageMagick to reduce by 3x (and convert to gif).  Finally, I
'batch convert' them with Paint Shop Pro, because ImageMagick doesn't
compress the gifs (I assume there's a patent/licensing issue between Unisys
and ImageMagick).

It's the 3x reduction that blends the dithered pixels, resulting in smooth
colors.  The dithering was supposed to give some indication of the chrome-ness.

Why don't you try using ldglite for the chrome pieces (or all of them.)
It should be a drop in replacement for the ldlite command line, thick
edges and all, plus you could do antialiased thick lines with -q.
I'm pretty sure I added code to render gold and silver with a specular
highlight instead of the yucky dithering.  You can also use the offscreen
rendering if you want to make it more of a batch operation.

Don