 CAD / 6141
RE: Question about posting DAT files here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 04:33:37 GMT

Mark Chittenden writes:

BTW - when I converted the POVRAY BMP to a JPG, the picture lost a bit of
the sharp clarity. Haven't figured out why that happens [yet].

JPEG is a lossy compression format.  This means that in order to compress
the file size, the JPEG compression algorithm averages boxes of pixels,
losing some data along the way.  The higher the compression, the boxier (the
more artifacts) it gets.  To make the images smoother, you can increase the
quality to 70 or 80% (20 to 30% compression).  You can also try saving as a
PNG file or convert the image to 256 colors and save as GIF.  PNG and GIF
compress files by looking for patterns, so they are lossless.  A good tip to
keep in mind is that JPEG is best for photos and GIF or PNG are best for
logos and line art.  You can always try both and see which gives you a
better filesize for the quality of the image.
HTH,
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu