 CAD / 6142
6141  |  6143
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Subject:
Animation script (again...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 15:08:27 GMT

So, once again I plan to make an LDraw animation script. I am moving extremely slow, so please don't shower me with
suggestions.

However, I have two questions, or requests:
First, I want to know if I'm re-inventing the wheel. There are quite a few Lego animations out there, is this wheel
already invented?

Secondly, Please take a look at the first outlines below. Is there any fundamental error in my way of thinking?

LDraw Animation Project 2001

General
Nothing should be case sensitive.
The project name should be 1-4 char's.

There will be very many files to make an animation:
1. A static World file in standard LDraw format.
2. A number of LDraw model files.
3. The main Script file.
4. A large number of more or less temporary files for frames and objects. (Should hopefully be inlined to a Master Movie
DAT file).
5. Later: Templates or definition files for minifig objects and methods and so on. But I'll leave that for now.

First objective: Put a car into the world. The car should later be moving relatively to the world.
Let's say the world file is called 'MyWorld.dat' and the car is called 'Datsun.dat'.
Let's call the project 'MyAn'. That makes the main source file 'MyAn.txt'. (Any other extension suggestions?)
I'm thinking of a script that would look something like this:

(File: MyAn.txt)
LDraw Animation Script
Author: John Smith
Camera.Pos  400 -200 -350
Camera.LookAt  50 -20 60
World.Create  1 16  0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1  MyWorld.dat
Car1.Create  1 1  100 -8 60  0 0 -1  0 1 0  1 0 0  Datsun.dat
Car1.LinkTo World
Camera.Shoot

The command Camera.Shoot makes the compiler to create the following files:

//// (File: @MyAn.dat)
0 MyAn Frame 000
0 Name: @MyAn.dat
0 Author: John Smith
0 LDraw Animation Master File
1 16  0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1  @MyAn000.000
0 STEP

//// (The Camera Position and LookAt instructions will later be entered into the POV file in this example.)

//// (File: @MyAn000.000)
0 MyAn World(Object #000) Frame 000
0 Name: @MyAn000.000
0 Author: John Smith
0 LDraw Animation Frame Object File
1 16  0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1  MyWorld.dat
1 1  100 -8 60  0 0 -1  0 1 0  1 0 0  @MyAn000.001

//// (File: @MyAn001.000)
0 MyAn Car1(Object #001) Frame 000
0 Name: @MyAn001.000
0 Author: John Smith
0 LDraw Animation Frame Object File
1 16  0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1  Datsun.dat