 CAD / 6151
Re: Animation script (again...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 02:42:09 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:

So, once again I plan to make an LDraw animation script. I am moving extremely slow, so please don't shower me with
suggestions.

Hmm, I don't know much about animation scripts.  Your approach looks ok
to me.

However, I have two questions, or requests:
First, I want to know if I'm re-inventing the wheel. There are quite a
few Lego animations out there, is this wheel
already invented?

Well, POV-Ray does support animations.  So you could L3P your world &
models, then use POV-Ray commands to combine the separate files into a
single animation.

Yeah I saw that. Maybe I should look one more time at that option.

Secondly, Please take a look at the first outlines below. Is there any
fundamental error in my way of thinking?

I'm not clear how the models move.  Is it simply a matter of using 0
CLEAR and repositioning your models?

Yes. But I'm not sure L3P supports 0 CLEAR... But that's an issue to look at later. I guess I'll have to make (at least)
two output options. For the moment, I use 0 CLEAR, but it is possible that it is dead end. Even though the Master .DAT
file is one of the most elementary of the files, I believe it's not too difficult to change it's look or even to split
it up or make a batch file calling L3P NFrames times of it.

Can the camera also move?

It must, and it will. In POV, I think it's done by post-processing the POV file. Or maybe it's possible to set some
command line parameters to the L3P call.

The compulsary static Scene* object will have variable Position and Matrix properties.
*) Previously referred to as World.

I have put together a little demo. It does nothing at all but just illustrates how the different files may look. No
files will actually be written, they will all just appear as edit windows.
http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/lda2001.zip

To the upper left is the source file. I think it will be the only file visible for the user while writing the script.

At lower left: Master .DAT file.

At upper right: Scene file for the latest frame shot, called on from the Master file and calling any child objects "next
of kin".

Middle right: Latest child object file for latest frame.

Lower right: Should be the "RAM", with all object's current properties. (But not all properties are shown on this demo.)

Due to the size of the edit windows, some text in some windows will likely disappear at the top of its window. If you
wish to see it, just click on it and press PgUp.

Changes in any other edit window except the upper left will be lost when clicking on Compile.

Try it out. LMKWYT. (I think it will take lots of work...)

/Tore