 CAD / 6117
Re: Question about posting DAT files here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:22:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Mark Chittenden wrote:

I'm new to LDRAW/MLCad, and using BMP2LDRAW32 'created' some 'skins' for
shields. I'm working on 'recreating' the shield patterns that are not (yet?)
in the LDRAW parts list. My question - when I'm ready to post my DAT files
here, should I post the base piece DAT file and the skin piece DAT file
seperately? Or combine the seperate files into a single DAT file (using a
text editor to copy & past one file into the bottom of the other)?

Hoo, boy.  Look at the existing official shield files for info about how
to structure your files.  There's a subfile line you can use to put the
shield behind your pattern.

Generally, yes, you'd post your dats to lugnet.cad.dat.parts.

Just so you know, BMP2DAT conversions aren't the preferred way to do
patterns.  But they are a lot easier to generate than actually drawing
the pattern.

Steve

BMP2LDRAW32 does have its uses though... when I did the necklace torsos, I
used it to figure out where the centre of each bead should go, and then
started afresh and drew the circles based on those coordinates.  (Filling in
between the beads was the hard part.)  Mark, you could do the same sort of
thing to note the "corners" of each shape found by BMP2LDRAW32 and then draw
them with triangles and quads.  Nonetheless I've saved yours in my parts
directory, although I don't think I'd want to POVRAY them, I think that
would take a long time!

That said, I notice that when I look at the pieces at an angle (in MLCAD or
L3LAB), they look sort of streaky, as if there were tiny spaces in between
the strips... but there aren't, I checked a couple, and anyway I think
BMP2LDRAW32 takes care of that.  Could someone with more of a clue explain
why this happens?

Cheers, Heather
--
Heather Patey