 CAD / 5180
  L3P Idea  [DAT]

It would be really nice if L3P could put arbitrary POV code in for parts. POV code could go into the comments of the dat file. The way I would like it to work would be to substitute in the position, angle and color of the part in variables. So, for (...) (24 years ago, 29-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: L3P Idea

(...) The latest version of L3P supports it this already. Look at this post as an example: (URL) (24 years ago, 29-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: L3P Idea

Great! However, is there a way to do substitions? For example, how about a fog object, that creates fog in whatever color you assign to it and a depth up to its position? e.g. something like: fog { distance 2000 color rgbt<%R, %G, %B, %T> fog_type 2 (...) (24 years ago, 29-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: L3P Idea

(...) No. L3P (unlike e.g. L3Lab) doesn't keep track of the current color, and thus cannot substitute %R, %G, %B, %T. Colors are inherited, they come from the referencer. E.g. the _3001_dot_dat object is colorless, but gets the color from object { (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Smoke Puff.dat (was Re: L3P Idea)

This is almost awesome, but I can't quite do what I want. I made a smoke puff .dat file for POVRay. You just drag and drop smoke puffs in using the CAD program, and you can have a smoking car or a fluffy cloud for your airplane. It uses L3P's POV (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Smoke Puff.dat (was Re: L3P Idea)  [DAT]

Here is the file I am experimenting with. At the end of your POV file, you will need to hand edit a little: Make every puff line like this: object { smokepuff_dot_dat matrix <1-SW/6,0,0,0,1,0,0,.../2,0,SW/2> matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,-...,-16,-113> (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Needs more work, but... (Re: Smoke Puff.dat (was Re: L3P Idea)  [DAT]

Ack. I messed up when I pasted that, and left the last character off of the file. Here is the correct version. Also, to use it, you need to add }// just before the #if statements in all the lines like: object { smokepuff_dot_dat matrix (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Arbitrary code (was Re: L3P Idea

(...) This got me thinking... Take a look at this rendering for example: (URL) is a really neat model, but the reflected parts are just "wrong". Wouldn't it be nice if the slope parts had POV code that somehow changed the reflectivity or the surface (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Arbitrary code (was Re: L3P Idea

(...) This got me thinking... Take a look at this rendering for example: (URL) is a really neat model, but the reflected parts are just "wrong". Wouldn't it be nice if the slope parts had POV code that somehow changed the reflectivity or the surface (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Arbitrary code (was Re: L3P Idea

(...) LGEO has "rough" (how do you call it in english ?) surfaces on the slopes, it looks just like the real parts. Leonardo (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Arbitrary code (was Re: L3P Idea

(...) ..."texture"... Hope this helps, Franklin (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Smoke Puff.dat (was Re: L3P Idea)  [DAT]

Here is my improved smoke effect. I figured out a hack to get around having to hand edit anything. This is just be drag-and-drop. You can still see the spherical envelope of the smoke, but it isn't too bad. It takes a long time to render. For an (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Arbitrary code (was Re: L3P Idea  [DAT]

Once again, I suggest we added TEXTURE as a 0-meta-command. This would solve a lot of issues, we could for example use TEXTURE RUBBER for differently coloured rubber parts as rubber bands, erasers, tyres... This way, it won't be POV-only, but all (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  I'm getting leery (was Re: L3P Idea)

(...) For what it's worth, I think I'd avoid taking L3P in this direction. I see L3P for what it is, a .DAT to .POV conversion tool, used for verts, lines, faces, etc. Before we start heading off into having .DAT versions of every possible .POV (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: I'm getting leery (was Re: L3P Idea)

(...) I agree. POV commands are great for cleaning up the geometry. This was what I was really hoping for. However, if the command set is flexible enough for users to make their own custom parts for their private collections to do special effects (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Arbitrary code (was Re: L3P Idea

(...) My perspective is that of a user... POV renderings are wrong. *Any* solution that fixes my particular needs is good enough for me. That said, the most general solution may be the best, and embedding POV specific fragments may not be very (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: I'm getting leery (was Re: L3P Idea)

I agree that a smoke puff shouldn't be in the library of Lego parts, since it isn't a Lego part and it is POV specific. However, having a directory of POV-specific .dat files for POV rendering is a perfectly reasonable thing for POV users to have, (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Rough Slope (was Re: Arbitrary code (was Re: L3P Idea  [DAT]

(...) I invented a way to do this. Here is one slope .dat that is fixed for POV, and an example picture. Note that it works for any color, chrome and clear etc. Example picture: (URL) Slope Brick 33 3 x 2 with POV Roughness 0 Author: Amnon (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Rough Slope  [DAT]

Here is a closeup of the wreaker with rough angle bricks, and the new dat file I used for the rough effect. It is a subtle change, but you can tell the difference. (URL) Slope Brick 45 2 x 2 0 Experimental Roughness by Amnon Silverstein 1 16 0 20 (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Rough Slope

(...) wrecker, not wreaker) Now that we know what the benefits are (and if you have any doubts you should go compare the original model, a beauty of a heavy truck, with this improved version. The roughness makes a vast difference), it would be nice (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)