 CAD / 5199
Re: I'm getting leery (was Re: L3P Idea)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 00:44:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jeff Boen writes:
Before we start heading off into having .DAT versions of every possible .POV
option, I'd keep in mind that .DAT's are not meant to be .POV-port specific.
.DAT's are CAD model files, and James' intention was to create a catalog of
Lego elements, so I'd keep L3P on track to simply convert the "tangible"
portions of a .DAT file into .POV format. (I'm already getting a little leery
of things such as puffs of smoke and clouds in .DAT format since I've never
pulled a puff of smoke from a polybag. I'd use a .POV modeller for that stuff.)

I agree.  POV commands are great for cleaning up the geometry.  This was
what I was really hoping for.  However, if the command set is flexible
enough for users to make their own custom parts for their private
collections to do special effects that they really like, then let them,
share them if they like.  I would not want a "smoke puff" in the official
library, it's not a Lego part.

For what it's worth.

-Chuck